Friday List Mania Trois: The Best of My Friends
It’s FRIDAY!!! That means Happy Hour people! Happy Hour! Cocktails, drinks with little umbrellas, overly-fatty cocktail food…the works! I hope you have plans to go out and enjoy it. When I first started teaching, we religiously met in my classroom approximately twenty minutes (read: seconds) after the kiddos left, bags packed and ready for a cocktail. After staying in our classrooms Monday thru Thursday until 6, 7 or 8 p.m., we felt we deserved an early day and a bucket of booze.
Although our cocktail hour was less of a civilized gathering of professionals and more of a raucous crowd of half-crazed individuals all trying to out-shout each other as we each attempted to have the BEST STORY EVER from the week. And the hour was more like six hours. Come to think of it, we probably looked half crazed and less than sober, but hey, it was dark little bar, no one could see us. (Right?)
So, in the spirit of happy hour and story shouting, I thought I would share five of the BEST stories of my friends. (Warning: these stories are HILARIOUS!) (Just imagine me shouting them at you across the table, as I suck down a Captain and Ginger Ale and pick at the cold pile of fries in front of us.)
1. Sippin’ On Gin and Juice – If you’ve read my book (Thank you and you’re welcome.) (Don’t hesitate to post a review on Amazon either.) then you’ve heard of the tale of the Malibu Rum. Who doesn’t like to celebrate their summer vacation with a nice fruity cocktail? I just didn’t know that my friends (and their families) were supporters of the Teacher Cocktail Hour/Shout Fest as well…
2. If You’re Going To Spew, Spew Into This… – Who can forget Pukey Patty and the legend of the Official Pass to the Nurse? I wish I had saved that note…
3. Curly Reigns Supreme – You all know I love the Naughty Boys. (Does anybody besides me giggle to themselves when I write that? No?) Curly quickly became one of my most favorite and most infamous naughty boy. So, natch, a story about him made it into the top five.
4. Literally Bursting With Excitement – Clearly I have a thing for children with curly hair. Perhaps it’s because of my own curls…but that’s just a theory. Now, I know we all want our friends to be engaged in their work, but Curly Girl was so involved that even a puddle of pee (her own!) didn’t stop her.
5. Stop. Fairy Time. – This post is probably one of my most popular because of the MC Hammer reference in the title. Right? Just a guess. From all the emails I’ve received, this is definite a Mrs. Mimi fan favorite because a) it involves a triumphant moment for one of my little friends b) it contains minor cursing and major hilarity and c) teachers seem to be totally into the idea of a Finish Folder. I know they saved my life.
Okay. Read, drink, repeat. And happy Friday!