We’re All Winners…
…I mean, look at all this brilliant cocktail party small talk!
If you don’t know of what I speak, you should probably be reading the blog more regularly. (Oh, no she di-n’t!) (Oh, yes she did!) Last week, I reviewed a killer book annnndddd because the peeps over at Little Pickle Press are amazing, I was able to give a book away to one of my fabulous readers!
But, really? Even if you aren’t the big winner, I think we can all consider ourselves winners because of the heaps of deliciously random information you all generously shared in the comments section.
Seriously, you need to get yourself a glass of something interesting and snuggle up with these comments. If you’re having one of those weeks, Mrs. Mimi’s got your back. Here are a few highlights, some of my faves, in no particular order:
* Did you know that wombat poop is shaped like a cube? (You know I had to go with a bodily function-related one, right?)
* It has been said that when you die, your hair will still continue to grow for a couple of months. (This one totally creeped me out and made me want to get a hair cut all at the same time…)
* The cleft between your nose and top lip is called a philtrum. (I love odd words that have the potential to make people blush because they sound a little naughty.)
* Goose poop every six minutes. (‘Nuff said. You will be the life of the party.)
* Caterpillar poo is called “frass”. (Many poop related fun facts…it’s like you guys know me or something.)
* A blue whale’s heart is the size of a Volkswagon bug.
* Baby puffins learn how to fly by throwing themselves off of a cliff over the ocean. If they fly, great. If not, they just plunge into the ocean, swim back to shore, and try again later. (And I have had friends who are afraid to try a new vegetable. They would make terrible puffins.)
So you see, we have all won some brilliant cocktail party conversation stoppers. Yay, us!
However, if you are iteachthereforeiam, CONGRATULATIONS! You entered random comment #36 which was the lucky number pulled up on the random number generator! (I’ve been trying to link the stupid image of the random number thingy for the last ten minutes with no success, so you’re just going to have to trust me, dear readers!)
iteachthereforeiam, please email me (itsnotallflowersandsausages (at) gmail (dot) com) your information so we can send that book out asap!
Drinks all around!
You can do a caterpillar "census" by staying up in the woods and listening for the frass (makes a sound when it falls). Then you multiply and divide a bunch of times to estimate how many critters there are. Have a relative who counted frass back in the 70s.
Rabbits have two cervix-es, and the penis of a pig is curly.
Rabbits have two cervix-es.
How bout this one– Rabbits actually have two cervices. Makes having all those baby bunnies much easier. Oh! And! The male genitalia of a pig has a spiral, curly shape.
No, hair/nails do not grow after death. The appearance of growth is caused by the shrinkage of the surrounding skin.
Check your facts, people!
Me? Not technically a winner. But laughed myself silly! Thanks for the new knowledge, all!
"They would make terrible puffins." This is just SO unreasonably hilarious to me!
Are you sure the winner wasn't teachinfourth?
I'm just sayin'…
@teachinfourth – I wish I could give a book away to everyone! I counted each entry of random-ness, skipping the ones that didn't include a fun fact or were accidental repeats…I double checked too! Did I blow it??